Adoption affects the lives of thousands of people in the UK. The Post Adoption Support Service recognises that adoption can have a lifelong impact on both children and adults.
Post Adoption Support provides services across Kent following the granting of an Adoption Order. We are a multi-disciplinary team that understands the complex issues which can arise in families formed through adoption. The team consists of clinicians from a variety of clinical and social work backgrounds.
You are eligible for Kent adoption support services if you:
- adopted a child through Kent and you live in Kent
- adopted a child through Kent but live outside Kent and it is less than three years since the adoption order was made. After three years, the local authority in whose area you live will be the provider.
- live in Kent but adopted through another local authority and it is more than three years since the adoption order was granted. Before that, it will be the local authority that placed the child who will provide adoption support.
To contact the team for more information, call 03000 420508.
The team are here to:
- provide information and advice to adopters and professionals and signpost them to other services when appropriate.
- provide immediate supportive phone consultations for adopters in crisis and/or in distress.
- support adopters with emotional, behavioural or mental health concerns about their children, through prompt allocation to the appropriate team member
- liaise with other professionals who have concerns about an adoptive family/child/children.
- Please read our leaflet (PDF, 489.0 KB) for further information.
Kent County Council is an adoption agency and, under the Adoption and Children Act 2002, has a responsibility to provide an assessment for adoption support services to all who are eligible. The Adoption Support Services Adviser in Kent is Sarah Skinner. You can contact Sarah by calling 03000 420508.
Following assessment if further work is required a range of interventions can be offered including:
- phone consultations
- therapeutic consultations
- parent child psychotherapy
- family therapy
- child and adolescent psychotherapy
- group therapy through the group programme
- social work support.
To contact the team call our information and advice line on 03000 42 05 08 or email PAST@kent.gov.uk.
We are developing these support services in response to what adopters have told us they find helpful. We always welcome feedback in order to improve our services.