Resources after you've adopted

The Adoption Passport

We recognise that adopters will need support from time to time and provides a range of support services for adopters and their children.

First4adoption also provide lots of guidance and advice. Further information can be found at Adoption Passport.

Adoption Support Fund

Since March 2015, Kent has been providing family, and individual child and parent therapy services for adopters and their children which has been funded by the Adoption Support Fund.

If you would like an assessment or to find out more, please email or call 03000 42 05 08.

Claiming your child's saving account

If your child was born in the UK between 01/09/2002 and 03/01/2011, they will have been eligible for a Child Trust Fund account opened with an initial subscription from the government of at least £250. In the absence of a suitable person with parental responsibility these accounts are managed by The Share Foundation.

If your child did not meet the eligibility for a Child Trust Fund account, providing they were looked after for a continuous period of 12 months or more, starting on or after 3 January 2011, they will have had a Junior ISA Account opened for them with an initial government contribution of £200.  These accounts are also managed by The Share Foundation.

If following an Adoption Order you have never taken over management of the account, you need to do so.  Please contact Phil Maynard on 03000 41 17 60 or Mikki Fuller on 03000 41 70 66 for further details.

Contact services for adopted children

Connecting Adoptive Families Independent Services (CAFIS)

The Connecting Adoptive Families Independent Service (CAFIS) offers specialist advice on contact arrangements for families and advice to anyone involved in adoption, personal or professional, including birth families,  adults affected by adoption and adopted people wanting to find their birth families/adoption records.

Tel: 01795 532081 Monday to Friday between 9am-5pm.

We aim to support adopters and their children living in Kent through the following local services:


Free early education

If your child is 2 years old you can take up the offer of a free early education place. In Kent this is called the Free For 2 (FF2) Scheme.

For more information about childcare provision you should contact the Children and Family Information Service (CFIS) on 03000 412323.

Apply online via the Kent County Council website

Priority School Places

Schools are asked to give all children adopted from care priority access to schools. More information can be found in the Primary school booklet.

Pupil Premium

Your child will be entitled to Pupil Premium, you will need to let the school know that your child is adopted so that they can claim the Pupil Premium.

Read more information about the Pupil Premium and support with education for children placed for adoption.

Virtual Schools Kent

For more information on educational services for children in Kent, visit the Virtual Schools Kent website.

Read Kent’s education policy for children adopted from care.

Meeting the needs of adopted and permanently placed children - a guide

PAC-UK and Adoption UK have published two complementary education guides, for school staff and adoptive parents respectively, to help ensure adopted children get the best possible educational start in life. The guides explain why these vulnerable children may need additional support in school, what educational entitlements they can attract and what support is available for them.

Commissioned by the Department for Education (DfE), the guides explain how The Children and Social Work Act 2017 enhances support for previously looked after children.

Financial support

We have a duty to carry out an assessment for an adoption allowance for an adopted child or children if this is requested, where the child has previously been in the care of Kent County Council. The allowance is means tested. You can find out more about Kent’s policy, procedures and eligibility for an allowance in the Children’s Procedures Manual for adoption. We review adoption allowances annually.

You can find information about accessing benefits, tax credits, allowances, employees right to leave and pay benefits on the GOV.UK website.

Information is available to all adopters during the assessment process.

Back to top